Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Worry Sponge

Wouldn't it have been great to have been a mom in the 60s in that regard? Everyday after school, we rode bikes to the candy store. My mother felt great about that. No concern about helmets or red dye or sugar or rapists. Just be home by six!
On the topic of dependence, when Portia realized the summer was ending and 10th grade was about to begin she commented "Just seven more days of freedom!"and Madison, who has been desperate to start college since she was about 7 years old said, "More like 7 more days TIL freedom". Freshman year was a tough one for me, first of all because I have twins, so 2/3rds of my kids left at once, and Madison is so joyfully enjoying life at Emory, even though I know it's age appropriate, it still hurts my feelings when she forgets to call. I do a lot of the worrying for her. The furthest she had ever driven was to the mall, and now she's driving 6 hours to Atlanta. She listens to tunes, while I absorb the worry, and check the weather in every state she is driving through. She goes to California for spring break; she tans, I call Delta 9 times to make sure the plane has landed safely. If only it was the 60s!! I'd simply yell "Just be home by May 8th!"

Patty

No comments: