Monday, April 20, 2009

Felonius Monk

I didn't know you had morning mug issues! As you know, frugality was king when I was growing up. I think I told you that for maybe a 50 year period, my father wore 6 pairs of Cordovans, which are leather, lace-up business shoes, and that's it, 6 pairs of shoes in 50 years. For work, he wore new Cordovans. For gardening or taking out the trash, he wore old Cordovans. In the snow, he wore Cordovans with rubbers over them (back when rubbers weren't R-rated words).
When something new arrived in the house, it was a big deal. Every morning when I came downstairs my mother was listening to "Ramblin' with Gamblin" on the radio, eating 2 slices of white toast with butter (she lived a long and healthy life despite refusing to connect "health" with "food") and drinking coffee from a cup and saucer. One day, these mugs showed up, I don't remember how they arrived at the house, but I do recall all of us making a big deal out of these blue and white mugs, and my mother feeling so mod, making the big switch to mugs, after all, it WAS the age of aquarius...
And now, I HAVE to start my day with a blue-and-white mug. There are only 2 of them, and the day one of them breaks, my heart will break a little as well.
And on that instability topic...
Remember how I told you Zeke is a man of few needs? I think his favorite possession is his pocket-knife, he uses it 4 or 5 times a day, never leaves home without it. So we are at Easter Mass, and I look over and he's cleaning his fingernails with the knife. I gave him a look that I hope said "Come on! The highest of Holy Days!" Later, we go up to get Communion, and as I'm coming back , I see the knife, open, laying in the pew. I'm pretty sure we are the only family to bring weaponry to the service that day, is that a felony?....meanwhile, Madison was going to a Fraternity Formal Saturday night, but she forgot to tell me it was in Florida, 4 hours away...and then Portia, who just got the car back after her fender-bender, was driving home from a concert last night and upon arrival revealed that she didn't know how to turn off the brights, so she was turning the lights completely OFF when there was an on-coming car, remind me why I think a 16 year old can drive?...

Patty

No comments: