Thursday, May 28, 2009

One Nike Popover, please....(Patty)

The Humphrey Yo-gart is more of a dish than a flavor, it is plain yogurt (don't be fooled by the word "plain", it is tart and delicious, just as you recalled it from Bloomingdales!) with blueberries and granola and nuts. Someday you must come to New Orleans and we can take all kinds of field trips, including an outing to Counter Culture.
John is in Atlanta for a few days. I think I told you that he is currently persuing one-and-only-one job, and it is working in the music industry with his friend from high school. At this point, it is more of a hobby than a job, but he is hoping to make some money at it in the near future. The best part about the situation is that John has always been and will always be a Night Owl. This Owliness has been working against him for the past 20 years. As a member of a family where everyone else gets up for school in the 6-7AM range, and as a man who would like to go out to a 10:30PM movie now and then with his wife (less than zero chance of that occuring ever), he has struggled along, setting an alarm every morning for decades, pulling himself out of bed before his body clock is ready...
He also loves music, so going to listen to bands late at night has become "research" ...he's finally found a job that suits his lifestyle! This is the only time in his life he has been able to completely change gears and head in a different direction, so I hope it works out, but for now he can order a Vodka-on-the-rocks at midnight and feel extremely good about it!
So I'm a temporary bachelorette. Last night I went to my friend and doubles partner, Mary Ann's house for dinner. She was raised in another country...do you ever notice that people who are not from the USA don't get the "heat" thing? Like they forget to put the air conditioning on? Mary Ann is a fabulous cook, but when I go there I basically wear a bathing suit. One time a few months ago, I lent her my sneakers (don't ask too many details...) and made her PROMISE to leave the shoes outside on her doorstep when I needed them the next morning... I get there that morning...no sneakers! Luckily Mary Ann was home...she had left the shoes outside overnight, but she was worried that they would be TOO COLD for me to wear so she popped them in the oven for a few minutes....all kinds of temperature issues going on in that house!

Patty

1 comment:

Mary Martha said...

First blog I read & you are writing about my favorite place & what saved me from becoming a blimp after Katrina~ Counter Culture!!!! Did you discover it when "Zeke" was at LSU? there isn't one here, is there? DQ & I have tried to contact the owner to possibly do a franchise here! LOVE that Humphrey YoGart!!!

Counter Culture started in Shreveport & spread to Baton Rouge in the late 70's (Went there when my brother were at college before I graduated from high school). I lost tack of it for a while, but redisovered it in 04 in BR when my niece became "addicted". When we stayed in Shreveport after Ktrina, I would drown my sorrows at Counter Culture.. Glad you discovered it, too!