Thursday, September 24, 2009

WINE and a little cheese (Patty)

Yes, I can definitely relate to the absolute natural high that you get as a young girl with a new outfit! In fact I can look back at almost every photo that exists of myself, and tell you how I felt about the clothes I had on that day!
This week's drama starts with Zeke. He is in the Architecture program at Tulane, and it is a very demanding situation. He is wavering on remaining in the program, his grades are fine but it is so time-consuming, ( 9AM til 12 midnight every day with a couple all-nighters thrown in...) that he can't do ANYTHING else. Zeke likes to socialize and work out and have downtime...what to advise? If only I was Asian, all the Asian kids I know persevere through the pain, no questions asked...but we are Irish, and need a little time to shoot the breeze! He might not even want to be an architect, and then he will have "wasted" his college years, according to him...then again, having a degree in something is very valuable these days, and it's just so cool to be in the Tulane School of Architecture! He has 2 more days to decide...
Madison is getting ready for her trip to New York with Sony. It's a big music convention for college kids. Emory sends the GM of the radio station, a student who has given sweat and blood, volunteering for years and years gets the prize, the all-expense paid trip to the CMJ (College Music Journal or something along those lines...) When that Senior found out Madison was also going on the trip, he was like "Who the heck is she??? How long has she been with Sony???" (Don't think he was too pleased when he found out she'd worked there 4 weeks...) She is the very lowest man on the totem pole, but someone has to be!!
Had a going-away party for John on Sunday. We went through 25 bottles of wine and there were maybe 35 people here...my neighbors can drink a lot! Good thing everyone was walking home...I was somewhat embarrassed to take the trash out...He is leaving on Tuesday for The Big Adventure, driving 30 hours to Laguna by way of everywhere...
And back here, it will just be me and Portia, preparing industriously for Halloween and her 17th birthday party. John is anxious for us to join him in January, 93% because he enjoys our company and 7% because I am a source of dinner, errands, and general shadow chores, everyone likes a wingman, and John will be wingless for 90 days. I've never been on more than a 6 hour drive in my entire life, but my new motto: Embrace change!

Patty

No comments: