Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Ever hooked up with a Saj? (Patty)

I want a deportment badge! A shiny red gem in my lapel that would let everyone know that I am holding up my end of this mothering thing...
We just returned from Laguna Beach. As you know, John is moving there next week and Portia and I will follow in January. It's a fun town, lots of art galleries and surf shops, and the inevitable Surf Art Gallery. There are yoga studios and organic restaurants, The Chakra Shack and an inordinate amount of bead shops. There are handsome young blonde surfer boys walking through town barefoot, and 40-something surfer men who are kind of cool looking but a little pitiful, like weren't they supposed to "move on" at some point? The main activity seems to be entertainment, which is right up my alley! It's got a laid-back atmosphere, lots of people making eye contact and saying hello, fun stores like Pretty Trash and Sniff and Bark...a number of places to eat breakfast, like my new favorite, Madison Square Gardens, which was a general store/restaurant hybrid that had at least 40 working fountains for sale, a festive atmosphere although it was embarassing to Portia because I can't pass a wind chime without giving it a little push, and after the first 10 she was very much hoping I would "get OVER it"...I heard a sentence I'd never heard before at coffee one morning, one employee said to the other, "Have you ever hooked up with a Saj?" and in context, I quickly surmised we were talking zodiacally...I ran home and asked John what sign he was, a piece of info that I hadn't asked in 25 years but suddenly seemed like it might be good to know! (He's a Cap, by the way)...
It's a plateau community, lots of houses on the "hills" which to me seem more like huge mountains, and most places have a view of the Pacific.
We rented a furnished house and got Portia all set for Laguna Beach High School...it's very surreal. Life is funny sometimes...I will just wear my invisible badge and make it all work out!

Patty

No comments: