Monday, July 20, 2009

Hitting the target (Patty)

It is not my place to judge, but (do you sense judgement’s arrival?)....it is not OK for a 20 year old man to leave butter and cheese and things strewn about, you need to walk in to wherever he is sleeping and have him get up and clean up. That’s the only way the behavior will change. It can be different with a husband, a lot of times it’s a marital agreement: if he keeps the roof overhead or provides other services like home repair or child-rearing, it’s more than fair for the wife to do the cooking and cleaning. It’s also different with a 9-year-old child; if they “bake cookies”, you have just signed up to bake cookies, too! But by the time they are 20, the rules need to change!
I went to Target specifically to check out the yogurt that you had so strongly recommended, but our Target doesn’t carry it’s own brand of yogurt…boo hoo! There is America, and then there is New Orleans. By U.S. standards, this city should not even exist, not much of a “bigger is better!’ attitude, no real emphasis on monetary success, often stores are simply “Closed Today” or “Closed for Amy’s graduation” and you just get used to it. It is quite possible that all Targets nationwide carry Target brand. But our Target simply does not…whatever! My favorite brand is Oiko from Whole Foods, but it’s double the price of regular yogurt…
Speaking of healthy food, it’s so weird the way employees of health food stores always fulfill the stereotype: tattooed, facial jewelry, nose rings, tie-dye, etc. I don’t understand why all kinds of people aren’t drawn to a vegetarian lifestyle. Why doesn’t anyone preppie or conservative ever seem to work there? Anything you read supports the idea of better quality of life through plant-based meals, beans, soy, I’m not telling you things you don’t already know… There is one vegetarian restaurant in New Orleans, and they are so hippy-dippy, that I can’t go there much. If all 5 of us go, one of the meals just doesn’t show up at all and the server, who is always cute and petite, is just too hummused up to refill the water glasses and the experience is awful, but you can’t even get mad at the waitress because she’s so sweet, like “Sorry about that other meal! We are NOT even going to THINK about charging you for that!” Why can’t vegetarians be restaurateurs? Why can’t restaurateurs be vegetarians? Life’s unanswerable conundrums.
Of course, Medusa is gorgeous, it’s in the genes! Who has it better, you or me? (How many question marks can I put in one blog?) Whether you admit it or not, you must know deep in your heart that you were overserved in the beauty department. I feel that I was overserved in the money department. If you put 100 women in a room and made them choose between way above average on beauty for life OR way above average financially for life, one or the other, black or white answer, gun to your head, you have to pick one…what do you think the results would be?
I think a lot of the women would be shot; they would insist on discussing the grey area!
But seriously, I really am getting scary-looking, I probably need to move under a bridge soon, but I’ll bring my laptop with me for sure, so I can stay in touch.

Patty

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Patty,

I quite agree with you on the actions of a certain 20 year old. Not only is there a ton of things to clean up after his 2:00 a.m. binge, but it also sounds like a herd of elephants tearing down the stairs to get to the food, as well the return to the 3rd floor afterward. Enough is enough....but who wants to get up at 3:30 and tell the elephant type raccoon to clean up the kitchen ? I love your writing...great fun. hugs!