Sunday, June 7, 2009

Sub-zero entertainment (Patty)

That bird looks just like I did the morning after the block party, I really need to stop drinking so much wine.
On the food and beverage topic, John was driving in from Atlanta last week, and we got invited as last minute replacements to this concert event, so I called him to see how close to home he was. When I asked him where he was he said he was at the Bates House of Turkey in Alabama. Why is that so funny to me? Simultaneously, I was experimenting with a gnocchi type of pasta. Zeke looks in the pot and says, “Mom, it looks like larva ” and I had to agree it was disgusting-looking. It had to go right into the trash…if only there was a Bates House of Perfect Rice nearby.
By the way, we went to that concert in the big New Orleans Arena, it was a fundraiser and had all these old-timers on their last legs, except maybe Little Richard who had a leg amputated so he was on his last whatevers, he’s 77 years old but he was belting out “Good Golly Miss Molly!” which I personally think is the dumbest rhyme in rock history except for maybe “In the desert, you can remember your name cause there ain’t no one for to give you no pain”…B.B.King performed and he was awesome, Chuck Berry was weird, very angry, didn’t get the “Jumbo-tron” concept, raging at the guy with the video camera, like “Turn it OFF! Turn it OFF!”.. it was embarrassing and the performance was bad, he’d be in the middle of one song and then sort of forget and start another one, but then again, he’s maybe 140 years old. Then, go figure, Wyclef Jean performed, but the true story of the night was the meat-locker conditions in the arena, it was sad because it was so unhumanly, further North than the Pole COLD that people were leaving in droves and by the end, there were maybe 200 people there. There were some other performers that I am forgetting because the remembering part of my brain was frozen rock solid by then.
Madison has gone to Ireland for the Summer Abroad program. The two of us went to New York this week for a couple days. I thought we could break up the trip since New Orleans-to-New York-to-Dublin-to-Shannon where the group meets and then a van to Galway would take over 24 hours…we saw Billy Elliot, it’s a good play, I think it will win a Tony tonight…the concept was for the two of us to have some one-on-one time before she left the country, but about 5 minutes after we arrived in the state she realized her Emory friends were in town as well, and I was unceremoniously dumped.
Zeke has started the Summer Architecture Program at Tulane. He is doing 18 credits over 12 weeks, basically making up the entire Freshman Year of Design classes, he goes to class 9AM-5PM Monday through Friday, then goes to the studio and returns home each night around 10PM so it’s keeping him out of trouble. Except last night, when he came home at 3AM…when I had those little bouncing babies and I thought that in a few months I would be sleeping through the night, I was so wrong. 20 years later, they are still waking me up!

Patty

No comments: